At his home in Hawaii, Dr. Jonathan Vrban enjoys a number of creative pursuits. For instance, Dr. Jonathan Vrban likes to cook and come up with new recipes.
While cooking, many people rely on following recipes exactly as written, which can be enjoyable and produce delicious results. However home cooks can combine their creativity and cooking skills to improvise in the kitchen to build new recipes.
When first getting started with improvising or giving your own twist to recipes, it’s a good idea to take baby steps. You might try using a different seasoning for one component of a tried-and-true recipe, for instance, or replacing one ingredient for another one with a similar texture and consistency. Having plenty of basic cooking ingredients and seasonings on hand can make the selection process easier and afford you plenty of options.
Additionally, try a new approach when you have plenty of time to experiment with no pressure, such as on weekend day. Doing a cooking experiment when are very hungry or tired after work or when you have guests coming over that you want to impress isn’t the best idea. With practice comes increased confidence and know-how.
Jonathan “Jon” Vrban lives in Honolulu, Hawaii, where he spends his days gardening and cooking. With a desire to publish his own cookbook, Jonathan Vrban looks for new opportunities to share his skills as a cook with others, and he is interested in making and launching cooking videos on YouTube.
When developing a cooking video, preparation of the cooking area, as well as presentation, are key for making an engaging show that encourages people to cook a dish. The following are tips to keep in mind when filming.
1. Take time to source fresh ingredients to showcase vibrant colors and add interest to a dish throughout the recording. Fresh tomatoes, for example, are more visually appealing than a can of tomatoes. Potted herbs are also nice to have on hand since they will not wilt.
2. When cooking with meat, discard the original packaging and place the ingredient on a clean plate or piece of parchment paper. This translates well on camera.
3. Select the proper dish size to hold ingredients and the final product. Plates and bowls that add height are great.
4. Make sure to take close-up shots of the ingredients being prepared and always favor the camera when chopping, dicing, and executing any cooking technique.
5. Because the audience cannot smell or taste the food, the cook should be very descriptive about the preparation and final dish. Offering measurements that are easily understood by viewers, like “a pinch of salt,” and vocalizing the doneness of products gives the viewer a better understanding of the overall recipe.
6. Remember to take a still shot of the dish at the end to be used as a thumbnail when uploading a video. Attempting to take a photo from a video may result in a low quality picture that will not pique people’s interest.
A cooking and gardening enthusiast, Jonathan Vrban also enjoys many other activities. As a contributor to video-sharing sites such as YouTube, Jonathan Vrban believes in maintaining a good online presence.
Thanks to the Internet, lots of information about a person is typically available with a simple search. While this information might be general or positive in nature, it can also be negative and have a potentially damaging effect on a person’s business, career, or personal life. Therefore, it’s often recommended that people take a proactive approach to online reputation management and establish a good online presence.
For example, you might consider buying a domain name that features your full name in order to establish an official website for yourself. Likewise, you can further establish your online presence by joining social networking websites and spending some time building your profile. Facebook and LinkedIn are obvious contenders for such sites, but Pinterest and YouTube are among additional possibilities. While you don’t have to be on such sites daily, it’s best to add content and otherwise participate periodically. You can also link certain sites together and make portions of your profiles public. However, it’s important to understand your privacy settings, thereby ensuring that the only information you’re making publicly available is that which you in fact don’t mind sharing with everyone.